It’s no secret Carbon Black has been growing over the last few years to support the ever-changing (but exciting) cybersecurity market. With this, our product team has scaled to support the increase in customers, products, and needs.
Paul Riegle, Director of Product Management, shares his insight into the product team, what we’re working on, and why you should join.
What’s your role on the product team?
In my current role, I lead product for the Cb Collective Defense Cloud. My team is responsible for vision and prioritization and consists of myself and two product owners. We expect additional team growth this year.
How has the team changed over the years?
When I joined the company, more than five and a half years ago as a senior product manager, I was the only product manager at the company. Since then, the product management (PM) team has seen tremendous growth, going from one person to 16 people with at least 10 additional roles to be filled this year. Continuing to appropriately scale our PM team is critical to Carbon Black’s success as we also grow our engineering team, our portfolio of products, and our amazing customer base.
For me personally, it’s been a great learning opportunity to see a product management function start from scratch, grow to the size it is today, and maintain its effectiveness as our business and the market change. In order to stay effective, we’ve used various models and frameworks at different times and we’re now making a big investment into the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). This has opened up new roles within the team and created new approaches that keep us on the leading edge of how modern product management organizations operate.
If you’ve seen agile transformations at other companies, you know that varying levels of buy-in can affect the overall success of the project. At Carbon Black, we have extremely strong executive champions (our Chief Product Officer, Ryan Polk, has led agile transformations at many companies), and we’re taking care to provide a high level of coaching, guidance, and distributed leadership throughout the team. The end result is shared ownership of the transformation across the organization and high confidence in our ability to succeed.
What do you work on?
Cb Collective Defense Cloud is essentially a big data analytics platform that delivers reputation, detection, and classification intelligence to our endpoint products. My team works with our great engineers to make sure that we’re solving the right problems and innovating in the right areas to keep our products ahead of the pack.
While our product owners are typically more focused on their scrum teams and backlogs, my day-to-day is spread across managing my team, talking to customers, working with support and sales to solve issues, and working with leaders across the business to set and execute our strategic priorities.
Who are you looking for to join?
We’re looking for smart people who are passionate and disciplined about what they do and, of course, have a great work ethic. Our team member profile is varied, but ultimately, they’ll do whatever it takes to get the job done.
There are a number of specific capabilities we are looking for. Among them:
- Concise communication. We need people who can take a huge amount of information, synthesize it down, and give the business exactly what it needs. The right insight and message can be a game changer.
- High emotional intelligence. PM is often the “belly button” of the organization and has an agenda that we need to drive. That translates to communicating up and down the chain and having a point of view while you do it.
- The breadth of PM responsibilities means we need to be able to admit when we don’t know something – but we then need to track down the answer however we can.
- Passion drives a desire to experiment, learn, continuously improve, and enjoy it along the way. Passion makes a person someone that others want to work with.
Why is what you do important?
For Carbon Black as a whole, it’s just about keeping people safe. The definition of “safe” can change depending on the organization: keeping your IP safe, your people safe, your money safe, and so on. At the end of the day, we’re keeping people safe from cyberattacks.
Why would someone be excited to join?
We check off all the boxes. It’s a no brainer!
- Work with a passionate and high-achieving team
- Work on products that solve real and highly disruptive problems
- Use cool technology to create cool technology
- Be highly visible within our company
- Grow professionally with ongoing training and support and advancement opportunities
- Work for a leading brand in a hot industry
Interested in joining the team? Check out our openings here.